We often see a medical school personal statement structure such as “Introduction → Work experience → Voluntary work → Hobbies → Conclusion” and we couldn’t disagree with this formatting more! In this full-day live personal statement course, we dispel all misconceptions about medicine personal statements.
Join us during our interactive personal statement course which covers the following 6-stage approach to writing and structuring a successful personal statement for medical school applications:
- Brainstorming and reflecting on medicine-related experiences.
- Drawing links between experiences and attributes of doctors.
- Comparing to personal attributes and excellent examples to demonstrate these.
- How to select the best examples to demonstrate your attributes
- Summarising experiences using our “PREE” method.
2. Body Paragraphs
- Using examples, learn how to best position your individual ideas and experiences using our “PREE” method.
- How to cut down based on similarities in attributes between the experiences
- How to lure in your reader with a captivating introduction based on your personal experiences.
- Avoiding passive examples.
- The structure of an excellent introduction for a medicine personal statement.
- Analysis of examples – learn to differentiate between good and bad introductions.
- Learn to leave a lasting impression on the reader
- Analyse medicine personal statement examples
- Reflect on your experiences using your limited word count.
5. Improve your writing
- Differentiate between descriptive writing, which is commonly used, and reflecting writing, which will make your personal statement stand out.
- Turn “weak” language into “strong” language.
- Vocabulary and terms to avoid.
- Buzzwords to include in a medicine personal statement.
- Challenge yourself
6. Cutting Down
- Understand the key ideas to include in each sentence.
- Analyse examples to learn ways to shorten sentences
- Learn which details students always include that don’t need to be included!
Speak to an admissions expert today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get feedback during the Medicine Personal Statement Course?
Yes, absolutely. You’ll be writing parts of your medicine personal statement and sending them through for feedback all throughout the day. You’ll receive thorough feedback multiple times throughout the day.
Will I finish my medicine personal statement during the course?
By the end of the course, you should have successfully completed the first draft of your medicine personal statement.
Is the Medicine Personal Statement Course in-person or online?
This personal statement course is held virtually, via Zoom.